There are so many reasons to wear makeup. Maybe you are going out and want to feel a bit fancier. Maybe you’re going for a more artistic look? Maybe you’ve never worn it before and you’re going crazy tonight! There are countless reasons to wear makeup and so many makeup brands on the market, but not all of them are created equal. Some contain harmful chemicals and other toxic ingredients that can wreak havoc on your health. Others are much more natural and gentle on your skin. If you’re looking for healthy makeup brands that won’t put your health at risk, here are 3 to check out:
- 100% Pure. 100% Pure is a clean beauty brand that offers a wide range of products made with pure, natural ingredients. Their products are free of synthetic fragrances, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and other harsh chemicals. These chemicals are commonly used in skincare and beauty products to give them a pleasant smell. However, they can also be bad for your skin in a number of ways. Synthetic fragrances are man-made chemicals that are added to products to give them a certain scent. The term “fragrance” on a product label can refer to any combination of these chemicals, even if natural ingredients like essential oils are also present. Some common synthetic fragrance ingredients include phthalates, benzene derivatives, aldehydes, and parabens. These chemicals have been linked to health concerns like hormone disruption, cancer, respiratory problems, and allergic reactions. Instead of using these potentially damaging chemicals, 100% Pure relies on fruit pigments, minerals, vitamins, and other nourishing ingredients to create beautiful products that are good for your skin.
- bareMinerals. bareMinerals is another clean beauty brand with a commitment to using safe and healthy ingredients in their products. All of their formulas are non-comedogenic (meaning they won’t clog pores), which is important because clogged pores can be extremely damaging to your skin. Clogged pores can lead to a number of skin concerns, including acne, blackheads, and whiteheads. When your pores are clogged, it provides a breeding ground for bacteria and can cause inflammation. Additionally, clogged pores can make your skin look dull and lifeless. bareMinerals is also hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested, and free of artificial fragrances and colors. They offer a variety of foundation formulas as well as concealers, eyeshadows, lipsticks, and more – all in flattering shades that suit a range of skin tones.
- Smashbox Cosmetics. Smashbox Cosmetics is a high-end makeup brand with an impressive lineup of quality products. While their prices may be higher than some other brands on this list, their product formulations are worth the investment. All Smashbox products undergo rigorous safety testing before they hit store shelves (and online retailers). In addition to being cruelty-free (no animal testing!), many of their products are also vegan-friendly – meaning they don’t contain any animal-derived ingredients like beeswax or lanolin. Plus, their long-wearing foundations have earned rave reviews from customers with even the oiliest skin types!
Of course, there are more and more products entering the market every day and we won’t catch them all right now. So, here’s some more general tips on skincare and keeping your skin healthy, regardless of your makeup products.
- Some people believe that wearing sunscreen every day is essential for keeping your skin healthy and preventing sun damage. Others believe that sunscreen can actually be harmful to your skin, causing it to become dry and irritated. The pros of wearing sunscreen every day are that it can help to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, which can cause premature aging, wrinkles, and skin cancer. Sunscreen can also help to prevent sunburns. The cons of wearing sunscreen every day are that it can be difficult to find a sunscreen that doesn’t irritate your skin, and some sunscreens can be greasy or sticky. Additionally, you need to reapply sunscreen often throughout the day in order for it to be effective. Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to wear sunscreen every day is up to you and should be based on your own individual skin type and needs.
- Exfoliating your skin regularly. Exfoliating your skin can help to remove dead cells and improve circulation, giving you a healthier-looking complexion. However, if you exfoliate too often or with an abrasive product, you could end up damaging your skin and making it more susceptible to irritation and inflammation. It’s important to find a balance that works for you when it comes to exfoliation.
Regardless of which makeup products you’re using or how you’re taking care of your skin, it’s important to visit a dermatologist every now and then just to check in on your skin’s condition and make sure all is well according to a doctor.