Your skin is the largest organ of your body and what you put on it gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Everything you put on your skin enters your body within 26 seconds. So, if the skin care products you’re using contain harmful chemicals, you’re essentially poisoning yourself. Most skin care products on the market today contain toxic ingredients that can cause a wide variety of health issues, including cancer, reproductive harm, endocrine disruption, and more. Here are some of the most dangerous chemicals found in skin care products:
1. Parabens. Parabens are a class of preservatives that are commonly used in skin care products to extend their shelf life. They’re known to mimic the hormone estrogen in the body, which can disrupt the endocrine system and lead to the development of cancerous tumors.
2. Phthalates. Phthalates are a class of industrial chemicals that are used to soften plastics. They’re commonly found in perfumes, lotions, and soaps. Like parabens, they can disrupt the endocrine system and have been linked to an increased risk of cancer.
3. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES). SLS and SLES are surfactants that are used in foaming products such as shampoos, toothpastes, and bubble bath. They’re known to cause skin irritation and eye damage. SLS has also been linked to cancer.
4. Fragrance. Fragrance is a generic term that can refer to any number of toxic chemicals. Many fragrance ingredients are classified as hazardous air pollutants by the EPA. They’ve been linked to cancer, reproductive harm, and endocrine disruption.
5. Triclosan. Triclosan is an antimicrobial chemical that’s used in a variety of personal care products, including hand soaps, toothpastes, and deodorants. It’s a known endocrine disruptor and has been linked to cancer.
6. Oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is a synthetic estrogen that’s used in sunscreen to absorb UV light. It’s a known endocrine disruptor that can interfere with the production of testosterone and other hormones. Oxybenzone has also been linked to cancer.
7. Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) and Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT). BHA and BHT are synthetic antioxidants that are used in a variety of personal care products, including lipsticks and moisturizers. They’re known to be endocrine disruptors and have been linked to cancer.
8. Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a preservative that’s used in a variety of personal care products, including shampoo, lotion, and makeup. It’s a known carcinogen that can also cause skin irritation and allergic reactions.
9. Coal Tar. Coal tar is a byproduct of coal that’s used in dandruff shampoo, hair dye, and other personal care products. It’s a known carcinogen that can also cause skin irritation and allergic reactions.
10. Hydroquinone. Hydroquinone is a skin-lightening agent that’s used in a variety of skin care products. It’s a known endocrine disruptor that can interfere with the production of testosterone and other hormones. Hydroquinone has also been linked to cancer.
These are just a few of the most toxic ingredients that are commonly found in skin care products. To avoid exposing yourself to these dangerous chemicals, choose skin care products that are made with organic and natural ingredients.